Monday 1 June 2009

You just said what?


Had a rough time this weekend, spent a few hours at the public house and towards the end felt like I was being barraged with inconsiderate comments (from mainly strangers) about the size of my bump. They ranged from the relatively mild "really? 2 more months? You look like you could go into labour any day now" to the so beyond socially acceptable there should be a new word for it "I'd hate to be your partner with the amount of expletives that are going to come out of your mouth while you're pushing out that giant baby".

After a good rant to the important woman folk in my life I'm feeling better and have certainly loved the advice on how to respond.

"I bet your mom shouted expletives too - after seeing your face!"

"You can take my bump and suck it"

and

Tell em you're not having a baby, you're just fat. That'll shut em up. Then ask them if they have any chocolate.

Instead I just laugh along, pat my belly, then waddle off home to cry. So I'd love to hear more advice - whether used or not, it feels very therapeutic!

2 comments:

  1. salut lauren et stephane
    tout d'abord, félicitations, damien avait eu des nouvelles et j'avais appris que tu était enceinte, c'est cool
    est ce que vous savez si c'est une fille ou un garcon?
    vous devez etre contents, ca change la vie, c'est vraiment un booster super genial d avoir un enfant, nous les notres grandissent à vue d'oeil,c'est du vrai bonheur
    bon je comprends pas tous tes déboires en anglais mais si tu veux des conseils, y'a pas de souci, avec mes deux je pense avoir de l'experience, et pas du tout les memes pour les deux. pour la question de l'extraction du placenta, prends la piqûre, il n'y a aucun risque, et surtout on ne sent rien du tout, de toute façon t'as vraiment la tete ailleurs à ce moment là puisque tu aura le plus beau des bébés dans tes bras dès que tu auras accouché, alors autant en profitér et laissér la technique aux professionnels
    c'est pour quand exactement le terme?
    alors gros bisous à vous deux et encore felicitations pour cete super nouvelle
    cecile damien et nos moustiques paulin et lucie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the one that said your just fat. I bet their face would look like they swallowed a canary.

    ReplyDelete